Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dreadlock Holiday

I always "dread" working on my locks. Once  I start I am glad I got around to it... but it sounds silly to others when I tell them my evening is full- got to work on my hair!


But it really is a chore. Luckily, I only have to work on my roots about once a month, wash it twice a month, and color it when I absolutely cant stand my dark roots anymore (every 2 mths or so!)


Yesterday was a big day... I hadn't colored it in 2 mths, or worked on my roots in over a month... so it was time to do it all at once!


*clears schedule for the evening*


I decided to document the time it takes to do this WHILE doing it...and this is what I got:


1:36 pm
Enter the bathroom and immediately start procrastinating... cleaning, picking at my face... okay get your act together and toss that hair on top of your head and start working on the back row of dreads.
- Grabs latch hook and first dread and start to pull it through its own base to tighten it to my head. Usually when doing this they only need pulled through twice ... my hair had grown long enough that I needed to do it at least three times to each dread!

1:52 pm 

18 dreads done and my arms hurt!

2:04 pm

30 dreads done and most of the back part I cannot see is done. I hold up a mirror to see the mess that is the back of my head, but with the combination of working by touch and not sight, AND the fact that I sleep on that part of my head- its not the prettiest of situations...

2:22 pm

45 dreads in....

2:38 pm 

69 dreads (tee hee) on the home stretch!!!

2:54 

90 dreads and done! Less then an hour and a half. NOT BAD! I am definitely getting better at this...

3:20 pm

Time to apply hair color to my roots. Today I am only dying the blond areas, I don't think the maroon I have on my lower dreads will ever lighten, it will have to grow out.

4:20 pm

Time to rinse the hair color out of these "sponges"

4:45 pm

The drying process begins.... I blow dry the dreads several times and sleep on a towel... It can take a few days for them to completely dry. I am always scared of mold and mildew!


So I am done for a few weeks now... its amazing how quickly time flies and it is time to do this all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment